Continued elsewhere

I've decided to abandon this blog in favor of a newer, more experimental hypertext form of writing. Come over and see the new place.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Me and MLK

The day after MLK's day, I am thinking about a very remote linkage I have to the man -- he was a guest of the liberal synagogue in Evanston that I went to as a youth. This happened a few months before I was born:
Highest-profile visitors: On Jan. 13, 1958, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke at Beth Emet, delivering an address, "The Desirability of Being Maladjusted." Beth Emet and Rabbi David Polish, the founding rabbi of the congregation, offered him a platform when few were willing to do so. "It was the first place he spoke at in the city of Chicago," said executive director Bekki Harris Kaplan.
I like the title. I read somewhere that King had to stay at the rabbi's house because no hotel would put him up back then.

No comments: