As I remarked on another blog:
Nothing like a few floating corpses to spice up convention coverage. Of course, if Americans didn’t have the attention span of meth-addicted chickens, we’d remember them from three years ago.
And as Auden remarked on September 1, 1939:
Exiled Thucydides knew
All that a speech can say
And what dictators do,
The elderly rubbish they talk
To an apathetic grave;
Analysed them all in his book,
The enlightenment driven away,
The habit-forming pain,
Mismanagement and grief:
We must suffer them all again.
A blogoversary is an excuse to go back and read the archives and look for common themes and try to figure out just what the hell this blog is about and whether it is worth pursuing:
- atheism, naturalism, philosophy in general
- economics, libertarianism
- doom, boom, futurism
- social networks, netarchy, solidarity, coordination, collective action
- media, the web, googlectualism, infoglut, attention management
- technology, coding, hacks, standards, knowledge representation
- right-wing loons
I'm sure these all have something to do with one another, other than occupying space in my disorderly brain.