Continued elsewhere

I've decided to abandon this blog in favor of a newer, more experimental hypertext form of writing. Come over and see the new place.

Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day

Nothing to say about this extraordinary moment in history that hundreds haven't already said. Here's what I said a year ago:
MLK day today. A time to remember that religion can, on occasion, be a force for good. I am pretty much an outsider to religion, but I have to admire it's ability to organize and deploy what Gandhi and MLK called "soul-force". The soul may be a fiction but clearly it's a fiction that can have effects in the real world.
Here's a piece in the Times Book Review that reveals that King extemporized the "I have a dream" part of his famous speech. In an age where so many billions of words stream by on screens, barely registering, it is worth appreciating what the right words at the right occasion can do.

No comments: